Monday, March 16, 2015

Anatomy of a Logo: The New Guardians


On Wednesday, February 24, 1988, I met with DC design director Richard Bruning to discuss a number of logos including The New Guardians. I returned to my studio and sketched out a few designs.


I settled on two designs and developed them further.


These designs were modified by condensing them.


I met with Richard on Wednesday, March 2. He preferred the logo on an arc and replaced the diamonds with a crossbar. He wanted minor changes to the S and no telescoping. This version had been condensed fifteen percent.


March 3




On Friday, March 4, I faxed a tight rendering of the logo to Richard and he approved it. Over the weekend, I completed the finished art on vellum tracing paper. I used a variety of templates and french curves. The letterspacing was adjusted by cutting apart a few of the letters. Touchups were done with acrylic white paint. On Monday, March 7, I delivered the finished logo to Andy Helfer.



(Next post on Monday: Sigmund Ullman Inks)

1 comment: